Friday, July 4, 2008

The 4th of July in China


Happy 4th to everyone! I hope you are all out playing baseball, eating hot dogs and apple pie, singing the Star Spangled Banner and watching fireworks. I've never really thought of the 4th as a holiday to give thanks (I just used it as a marker that my birthday is a week away) because that's what Thanksgiving is for, right?

But after almost a year of living in communist China I feel I have a lot of "American" things to be thankful for this year.

I'm thankful that I have the right to free speech and can express myself as I so choose.

I'm thankful that we have a free press, really thankful.

I'm thankful that I can choose to worship who I want, when I want.

I'm thankful that November will soon roll around and I'll be able to cast a vote to choose the leader of my country.

The list could go on for quite some time, but those are the biggies for sure.

At dinner tonight we sang the National Anthem for our Chinese guests and then I told them to get used to hearing it because it is going to play over and over and over again in Beijing as America wins gold medal after gold medal after gold medal.

After dinner Jon set off some fireworks and then we watched a war movie in honor of the land of the free.

Lastly, I'm thankful to have spent this time abroad to help me to realize that America certainly isn't without it's flaws and to gain a better outside perspective of the home of the brave. And to realize how proud I am to be an American.

No comments: